Pages

Tuesday 18 September 2012


INFINITIVE  GERUND


A) Form

* He should avoid smoking   (gerund) 

* She wanted to leave   (infinitive with “to” or “full infinitive”)

*You had better work   (infinitive without “to” or “bare infinitive”)

 B) Gerund 

1)We use “gerund” after prepositions:

*She entered without knocking   at the door.

 *The children carried on  playing  despite the rain.
  
*They accused him of  lying
  
*Before  crossing   the street, the boy made sure that no car was coming.

 *The police released them after being  exonerated by the court.

 2) We use “gerund” after certain expressions:
  
*I can’t help  looking  at her; she’s so beautiful.
   
 *He looks impatient; he can’t stand waiting.
   
 *I look forward to hearing from you.
  
 *There is no use crying about spilt milk.
  
 *This book is worth  reading.
  
 *She can’t bear  looking at his ugly face.

*I can't resist having anther cup of milk.

3) We use gerund after certain verbs:

Avoid   / admit / dread / dislike / detest /  enjoy /  keep (continue) / stop / mind/ suggest / spend / finish / deny / regret / consider / imagine/ fancy/ spend/ feel like/ be used to.

*She regretted  spending  her money on useless things.

*The man denied  stealing  her purse.

*”Have you finished  copying  what I ‘ve written on the blackboard?” the teacher told the students.

*Would you mind  showing  me your photos?

*I don’t fancy  going  out tonight.

*My brother spends his time working.

*I feel like leaving now. I'm so tired. 

*My mother is used to waking up early. She's stuck to that habit for more than twenty years.

Exercises
      a) Fill in the blanks with following verbs (use the correct form)

           make /  take  /  travel   / bring  /  run  /  write

1) Try to avoid   making him angry. He’s so nervous.

2) Would you mind …………………….me some water, please?

3) Although he felt so tired, he kept…………………….. .

4) She doesn’t fancy ……………………… a shower now.

5) I usually spend my summer holiday ………………………… to big cities.

6) He hasn’t finished ……………………………the letter yet.

b) Complete the following sentences; the first one is already done.

1) I can do what I want and you can’t stop me.
You can’t stop me doing what I want.

2) I don’t think it’s a good idea to borrow money from your friends.
It’s better to avoid……………………………………………………………………

3) Could you lend me some money, please?
Would you mind……………………………………………………………………?

4) The criminal confessed that he killed the man.
The criminal admitted……………………………………………………….

5) Asmae  likes to prepare cakes.
Asmae enjoys…………………………………………………………………………

C) Infinitive with “to” or “full infinitive”

1)It is used after certain verbs, such as:

Offer / decide /  hope  /  deserve  /  agree  / plan  /  manage  /  afford  /want  promise  /  refuse  /  arrange  /  fail  /  forget  /  learn  /  seem  / pretend  /  tend

* He decided never to smoke again.

* They seem to have plenty of money.

* She prepared well but she failed to pass her driving-test.

* The two families have arranged   to organize  the wedding next month.

* I’m planning  to carry on my study abroad.

* I tried to convince her, but she didn’t agree   to come with me.

2) Also sentences like:

Show/ tell / advise / teach someone how / what / where to do something.

* She showed me how   to play   the game.

* I ‘ll   tell you what   to do.

* They ‘ll  teach me how   to start a project

3) Verb   +   object   +  to-infinitive

ask / want / encourage / expect / beg / advise / would  like / tell / remind / invite /persuade / warn / teach / 

*I persuaded  my sister   to stay  at home.

* The teacher encouraged me  to work harder.

* The mother warned  her child not to touchthe candle.

* He reminded   me  to bring back his book.

D) Infinitive without “to” or “bare infinitive”

Verbs:

let 
                                + infinitive without to
make

*I let him go.                               *The weather made me feel  tired. 

Modals: 
should / had better / can (could)
must/will / would /                                 +infinitive without to
may  /might   /  needn’t


*You had better  stop smoking.

*He needn’t  bring the book; I have one.

Help :  “bare infinitive” or “full infinitive”    (both are  correct)

*I helped him  carry the box    or         I helped him to carry the box

E) Infinitive or gerund



start / begin  / like  / hate  / love
          +
gerund        or         full infinitive



*I began  to understand   OR  I began understanding   

*She started to learn English  OR  She started learning English

BUT WE SAY:

I would like to ………./ I would hate to…………/ I would love to……………..

*I   would love  to study  English

* I would hate    to see    her again.

* She would like   to get    married.

Exercises:
a) Fill in the blanks with a suitable verb:

1) The doctor advised him  to practice  sport.

2) You must ………………………..smoking.

3) My father showed me how …………………………….money.

4) I made her ……………………….. in a month.            

5) He pretended …………………………..sick in order not to go to school.

6) You needn’t………………………..your jacket; it’s not cold outside.

7) Please; let me ………………………you how to use the left.

8) My sister’s decided ……………………………abroad as soon as she gets her baccalaureate.

b) Put the verbs between brackets into “full infinitive” or “bare infinitive”

1)He can’t afford     to buy that house; it’s too expensive.      (buy)

2) You shouldn’t ……………………….to people; otherwise they will not trust you any more.    (lie)

3) You needn’t worry that much; I’ll make you …………………………English in three months.  (speak)

4)  I begged him, but he refused ………………………me money.    (lend)

5) Will you let me ………………………..you with your homework?       (help)

6) He advised me how ………………………..rid of smoking.                 (get)

c) Put the verbs between brackets into “gerund” or “infinitive”:

1) When I’m tired, I enjoy watching  television.   (watch)

2) It was a nice day, so we decided ……………………for a walk.   (go)

3) It’s a nice day. Does anyone fancy……………………..for a walk?   (go)

4) I’m not in hurry. I don’t mind ………………………… .      (wait)

5) They don’t have much money. They can’t afford……………………….whatever they need.     (buy)

6) I wish that dog would stop………………….. . It’s driving mad.   (bark)

7) We were very hungry; that’s why I suggested………………………dinner early. (have)

8) Hurry up! I dread ………………………the train.

9) I look forward to …………………………you again.   (see)

10) I’m still looking for a job soon, but I hope …………………………something soon (find)

d) Complete the following sentences using “ what”/ “how” / “whether” + the following verbs:do  / get / go / ride / say / use

1) Do you know            how to get        to John’s house.

2) Can you show me ……………………………………….this washing machine?

3) Would you know ……………………………………….if there was a fire in the building?

4) You’ll never forget…………………………….a bicycle once you ’ve learnt.

5) I was really astonished. I didn’t know………………………………….

6) I’ve been invited to the party, but I haven’t decided……………………………..or not.

e) Put the verbs between brackets in the correct form :“gerund” or “infinitive”.

1) There is no use (ask )asking him; he wouldn’t (help)………………you.

2) I’m not ready yet; would you mind (wait)………………………….?

3) As soon as it started (rain)……………………….., we decided (go)…………………….. back home.

4) She was so angry that she left without (say)……………………………goodbye.

5) One of my friends invited me (have)…………………………lunch with him, but I apologized for not (be)…………………………..able to come, as I was so busy.

6)She can’t help (go)…………………………shopping; she is fond of (buy)……………….. new things.

7) The weather was so awful the other day; that’s why I suggested (put) …………………………….off the picnic to the following week. But some of my friends didn’t seem (like) ………………………..my suggestion.

8) I asked my friend (lend) …………………………..me some money, but he refused (do) ……………………so, because he thought I might not give it back to him.

9) My father is looking forward to (go)………………………on pilgrimage next year.


                                                                  ANSWERS

No comments:

Post a Comment